MILAN, ITALY. 28 JAN 2020. Fuelled by a frustration with things that don’t work properly and a relentless obsession with making them perform better, Jake Dyson has today globally unveiled Dyson’s newest addition to its technology portfolio, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ light.
Engineered for versatility and inspired by natural light, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ has unique local daylight tracking and delivers light throughout a room in four different formats – as an indirect, task, feature or ambient light.
Personalised via the Dyson Link App¹, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ intelligently adjusts the light it emits depending on the user’s task, age, mood and local daylight. 360° manoeuvrability provides customised light when and where it matters. All this, and with light quality that lasts decades², made possible by Dyson’s pioneering Heat Pipe technology.
“With the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™, our aim was to challenge the fundamental conventions of contemporary artificial lighting and find a solution. So we developed a light that tracks natural day light and intelligently transforms for different uses – providing the right light, at the right time, precisely where it’s needed.” - Jake Dyson, Chief Engineer
A light with many different uses, providing the right light for the time of day
Building on the core technologies of the Dyson Solarcycle™ task light, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ has the ability to emulate some of the properties of natural light in multiple different formats. Using Dyson’s unique Daylight Tracking algorithm and 3 warm, 3 cool LEDs, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ continually adjusts its colour temperature and brightness in relation to local daylight, providing the right light for the time of day depending on the user’s location.
The Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ can be used as an:
- Indirect light: The intelligent optical head smoothly rotates 360° to bounce light off walls, floors and ceilings.
- Task light: Focused, powerful light for work, hobbies, make-up application and intricate tasks. Engineered to help reduce eye strain and improve visual performance.³
- Feature light: Creates dramatic effects, highlighting art, colours and decorative features. 3-Point Revolve motion enables precise positioning.
- Ambient light: The stem lights up to create a comforting, orange glow. For evening relaxation with reduced blue light.
From waking up with an artificial sunrise in a bedroom, working with a powerful high-quality task light, enhancing interiors with the dramatic feature lighting or relaxing in the evening with soothing ambient light, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ is engineered for versatility.
The ambient stem demonstrates that form does not just follow function, but the two disciplines work hand in hand. The Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ is designed around a distinct aluminium-polycarbonate composite stem, rotationally perforated with 16,740 apertures.⁴
Mounted on the stem is an Intelligent Optical Head with 360° manoeuvrability. The stem is machined to a depth of just 0.7mm and formed of extruded aluminium to deliver a unique balance of high impact resistance and smooth light travel. The micro apertures create a soft gradient to the lit effect and the highly reflective surface inside the aluminium core aids a flawless travel of light down the length of the stem. With an almost transparent aesthetic, two ultra-thin exposed cables run through the centre of the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™. Clamped at both ends under extreme tension, these cables power the optical head in an almost invisible manner - achieving a 360°, uninterrupted lit effect on the stem.
When docked as an ambient light, the stem lights up to create a comforting, orange glow and can be set for evening relaxation with further reduced blue light. A colour warming orange filter on the dock creates the warmest light levels, reducing the colour temperature down further from 2,700K to 1,800K, emulating the colour of candle light.
Long Lasting High Quality Light
“When trying to recreate the characteristics of daylight, light quality is vital. So we developed a way to protect it for the long term.” Jake Dyson, Chief Engineer
Dyson’s heat pipe technology draws heat away from the LEDs to provide a non-stop, energy-free cooling cycle, maintaining light quality for 60 years⁵ with light quality not diminishing over time.
Low light, flicker and glare can cause eye strain and visual fatigue. The Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ is engineered to help reduce eye strain / improve visual performance. The Intelligent Optical Head produces a uniform distribution of high quality, powerful light, while achieving a low flicker score at full brightness (<1%)⁶ thanks to custom drivers and light engines. The Precision mode achieves a colour rendering index of 90 or over (out of 100), displaying colours very close to daylight. In this mode, fine drawing, make-up application, painting or crafts appear truer-to-life. Precision mode helps improve visual performance⁶ by emitting a pool of high-intensity light with a cooler (4,600 Kelvin) colour temperature.
Personalised & Connected
A 65-year old needs up to four times more light than a 20-year old.⁸ So thanks to Age Adjust, the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ corrects brightness based on the age entered into the Dyson Link app, meaning that the older the user, the brighter the light. The Dyson Solarcycle MorphTM has pre-set modes: Study, Relax, Precision, Boost, Wake-up, Sleep and Away. It also has manual control with slide-touch dimming and colour temperature selection to define personal light preferences. It’s possible to pre-programme and assign names for up to 20 different light settings, to suit the task or mood.
Notes to Editors
- The Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ has a USB-C charger for phones and tablets, making it a useful addition to a desk or bedside table.
- Using data selected from over a million atmospheric measurements of light conditions in the earth’s atmosphere at different times of day, a 32-bit microcontroller unit in the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ continually interprets daylight data, communicating it to the optical driver. This powers three warm and three cool LEDs that work in tandem to simulate daylight colour temperatures ranging from 2,700 to 6,500 Kelvin.
- The Study mode surpasses recommended light levels for studying, while adjusting colour temperature over the day.⁹
- The Relax mode provides light at the warmer end of the spectrum with low intensity which is still bright enough for reading. Via Age Adjust and the Dyson Link app it also provides the right level of brightness according to the user’s age.
- The Boost mode is designed for tasks that require brighter light for shorter periods, boosting the light’s brightness and making its colour temperature cooler for bursts of 20 minutes.
- In the Wake-up mode, the user can set the light to turn on at the time they like to wake up, and brighten gradually to create a smoother wake-up environment.
- The Sleep mode is designed for night-time use: it de-activates the light’s movement sensor so the light won’t come on if the user stirs while sleeping. It also reduces brightness and colour temperature to their lowest levels, so if the light is kept by the bedside and turned on at night, when the room is dark, disturbance is minimised.
- In the Away mode, the light will switch on and off at set times to imitate human presence, enabling it to be used as a security light.
- An infrared movement sensor switches the light on when someone is near, and off once no movement has been detected for five minutes, helping to save energy.
- An ambient light sensor on board the Dyson Solarcycle Morph™ means that if background light suddenly changes, light output levels are adjusted automatically to keep the user’s space at a constant brightness.
- The custom heptagonal reflector in the Optical Head is split by a layer of PMMA diffusion film, evenly mixing the cold and warm LEDs’ light to help create a single light source for high shadow quality. The lower reflector is engineered to protect eyes from glare and focus the light for a pool of uniform illumination, with the light source concealed.
¹Requires device to run app, Wi-Fi or mobile data, Bluetooth 4.0 support, and iOS version 10 or Android version 5 (or above). Standard data and messaging rates may apply.
²LED-life calculation is based on L70 measurement according to IEC 62717, with an estimation of 8 hours’ usage per day. Real-life results may vary.
³Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) The Lighting Handbook, Tenth Edition: Reference and Application, Publisher: Illuminating Engineering (July 30, 2011).
⁴1 Applies to Floor model. Desk model has 4,950 perforations
⁵LED-life calculation is based on L70 measurement according to IEC 62717, with an estimation of 8 hours’ usage per day. Real-life results may vary.
⁶Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) The Lighting Handbook, Tenth Edition: Reference and Application, Publisher: Illuminating Engineering (July 30, 2011).
⁷Tested at full brightness according to IEEE 1789 - 2015 - Recommended Practices for Modulating Current in High-Brightness LEDs for Mitigating Health Risks to Viewers.
⁸Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) The Lighting Handbook, Tenth Edition: Reference and Application, Publisher: Illuminating Engineering (July 30, 2011).
⁹As per Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) The Lighting Handbook, Tenth Edition: Reference and Application, Publisher: Illuminating Engineering (July 30, 2011).